A site filled with great security-related information is Krebs on Security. A recent article, Before You Pay that Ransomware Demand, has some very helpful information and links with “basic advice about where to go, what to do — and what not to do — when you or someone you know gets hit with ransomware.”
- Paying up is certainly not the cheapest option. The average ransom demanded is approximately $722, according to an analysis published in September by Trend Micro.
- Paying up means a crash course in acquiring the virtual currency known as Bitcoin.
- irst place victims should look to find out is nomoreransom.org
- Another destination that may be useful for ransomware victims is bleepingcomputer.com
- Regularly backup your data, and make sure the backups are not connected to the computers and networks they are backing up.